Wow! This past week has flown by. Last Sunday I flew to Utah (my stomach barely made it) so that my mom and I could drive to Las Vegas for the IRS tax forum. Flying to Vegas might have made more sense, but since I wanted to introduce Hope to Joe's family in Payson and round-trips are less expensive than multi-destination trips, this was the way we did it.
Monday, Mom, Hope, and I headed to Vegas for the Forum after stopping briefly in Payson to show off Hope to Joe's family. Joe's sisters Leah, Laura, Linda, and LeAnn all came by along with his sister-in-law, Christine. I got some good pictures of Hope with my mom and Joe's parents, but since I'm not on my normal computer, I don't know how to get them on here. Guess that will have to wait for now...
We were in Vegas for three days of tax classes so I can maintain my license as an Enrolled Agent. Some of the classes were yawners, but some were quite informative and had good speakers. I did learn things that will help some of my clients this year.
The conference was at the Mandalay Bay, so I had arranged for us to stay there since it would be easier for me to feed Hope. The room was nice and the beds comfortable. There was a large, flat-screen tv that we had to figure out because you had to go to a menu before you could actually watch tv. The "fridge" that was in the room was a type of mini-bar, but since I don't drink alcohol, it just frustrated us that we couldn't put the juices my mom bought in it very well. The bathroom was HUGE and had a separate shower from the tub, plus a tv so that somebody could watch it while bathing. I didn't, but I could have. The thing that astounded me, though, was the fact that there was a phone next to the toilet. Now come on! Who really needs to talk on the phone while "doing their business?!" The thing we noticed most was that some of the conveniences you find at less expensive hotels (microwaves, free breakfast, coffee maker (for hot chocolate you know)) weren't available here. We ultimately decided that other hotels give you more value for your dollar and the price wasn't worth the view of the Las Vegas strip that we had. Since a free tram went between the Mandalay, Excalibur, and Luxor, we'd have been better off spending less on the rooms at the other hotels since getting Hope to me wouldn't have been any less convenient. Oh well...I doubt I'd attend the Forum in Vegas in the future anyway. Next year maybe I'll see if I can take the kids with me to Orlando or Anaheim so they can go to Disney.
Friday we were exhausted since we didn't get back to Huntsville until 3am. Mom ended up mowing her lawn and a few other things around the house. I tried contacting friends, but wasn't able to get a hold of some.
Yesterday, Saturday, Mom, Hope and I drove to Idaho Falls and visited my uncle, Jim, and aunt, Sueann. We looked at my mom's lot up there where Joe and I really want to build a house, but can't unless he gets a job around there. The fence is starting to come down and the people that have been keeping horses on it have started storing cars and stuff there. Although my uncle had told them that we were going to try working on the fence and the horses had to be moved, all they did was tie the horses in their yard rather than find another field for the horses to live. Horses to be gone next weekend... (yeah right)
We also drove up to the Ammon cemetery to see where my dad's ashes were buried and the monument that Mom chose for him. It is a nice headstone with a dove on it since he loved doves. I thought the trip there would be harder than it was. Mom said the same thing. What a blessing to know that Dad's not really there in the ground, but with our loving Heavenly Father. I know that he watches over us and can help my mom with her decision making now. She says that she knew what my dad was thinking when he was here, and she still knows what he's thinking. How beautiful is that? Now if he could prompt somebody in Idaho Falls to give Joe a job... Unfortunately, that's probably not how it works. *Sigh*
Today was great since I was able to see lots of people. Mom and I headed to church where many asked about the kids since they remember them from last year. They all would like to come back here...although that wasn't always the case. After church we went down to Ruth and David Stevenson's house. I knew them in Memphis, but now they're a mere 10 minutes from my mom's house. They both sing with MOTAB (Mormon Tabernacle Choir) and we watched the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast they recorded with them. It was a nice visit and hearing their story about their move to Utah reminded me that I must have patience and that our move will happen in the Lord's time. I just need to keep telling myself that when I get frustrated with the pace of everything.
After visiting the Stevensons, we went out to Hooper to see Nathan Seaich (my brother's best friend) receive the Melchezidek (sp?) priesthood and be ordained an Elder. What a change he's made in his life! It was so neat to see him ordained by his father-in-law.
Our last stop today was at my cousin Mandy's house. The Keime clan gathers at somebody's house on Sundays for a get together. Amy, Mandy, Chris, and my aunt Judy and uncle Al were there. My cousins' children all played together outside and the rest of us chatted. Amy's daughter, Drue, is a precious 9 month old. The older girls played on the trampoline, and the boys played soccer. Chris's youngest son toddled around trying to convince Chris to let him have "one more" ice cream sandwich. :-) What a wonderful family! I sure love my cousins. It would be great for my boys to live around them and get to know their second cousins. Maybe some day.
Now it's off to bed for me and Hope since we go to Payson again tomorrow. I'm sure Rex and Thora would like more time with Hope before we fly back to Memphis on Tuesday. They don't realize it yet, but Joe will be out soon too. He has a third interview with Overstock.com on Friday. Maybe something will come of it. Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment